[Qgis-developer] Modifications to dissolve() in fTools

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 15 10:01:45 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Etienne Tourigny
<etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Offering a choice to install a more recent "core" plugin is a good
> thing I think - although perhaps interim updates should be in another
> repository or marked as "experimental", until they are released in the
> stable version of qgis.
>
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> On Sat, 16. Jun 2012 at 01:06:12 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>>> I'm +1 for this idea.  It would be good to be able to update core
>>> plugins of QGIS via the plugin installer, then at each release force
>>> update everyone by removing the one in the installer at release time.
>>
>> I'm not sure I like this.  Either it's a core plugin or it's not.  IMHO core
>> plugins aren't supposed to be in the plugin repositories - and therefore don't
>> need an own version number.

Jürgen, how else can update-able core functionality of QGIS be updated
between major releases?

If I had a plugin that might be considered a candidate for being a
core plugin (which I might, after a lot of work and testing), and, I
could not be responsive to its user-base by providing timely fixes and
updates between major QGIS releases, I would not view moving my plugin
from contributed to core as a good idea.

Hmm, I assumed more flexible and timely updates was one of the points
behind the idea to move parts of QGIS from C++ to Python, with its
core, stable code base remaining in C++. Then more developers could
help out with development and, like PyQGIS plugins, those modular
Python components could be updated via a web-updater between releases,
since Python code is byte-compiled on the user's machine.

Was I incorrect in this assumption?

It is now a common, maybe even expected, user experience to often
web-update part or all of a program, beyond components such as
contributed plugins. (I updated my git program, SourceTree, 3 times in
the last week, because they needed to adapt to the new github.com API
v.3.)

Sorry, a bit off topic.

Larry