[Qgis-developer] Problem uploading plugin

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Mar 28 11:30:44 EDT 2012

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> Looks like the default is set in validator.py
>
> PLUGIN_MAX_UPLOAD_SIZE= getattr(settings, 'PLUGIN_MAX_UPLOAD_SIZE', 1048576)
>
> appears override-able in the local_settings.py if I understand the getattr
> function.
>
> Tim or other admins have an idea of the best place to make the change? What
> should we set the new limit to? 5 MB?

+1

I suggest a higher upload limit: maybe 10-15 MB?

I just deployed and zipped the plugin I'm currently working on, and it
is close to 5 MB. I have many documentation pages to go; so, I don't
doubt my plugin will be over 5 MB when released as a ZIP archive. It
will also be an alpha version with more features being added later.

As plugin devs attempt more complex plugins, the upload size should
not be a hindrance. Also, if the size could be saved with the plugin
data on plugins.qgis.org, then it could be displayed there and
possibly in the Plugin Installer. This way a user could decide if they
want to download based on that info. In my opinion, 10-15 MB is not
that large a download these days.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography