[Qgis-developer] zip&http?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon May 7 10:40:53 PDT 2012

> I wasn't aware that the gdal api could be used to read zip (and other
> compressed files such as .gz .tar.gz .tar), I was under the impression
> that much functionality (such as getting a zipfile listing) was hidden
> under the hood , in files like cpl_vsil_gzip.cpp but not in the API.
>
> I may have not looked closely enough, but that is why I used quazip,
> instead of copying bits and pieces of the gdal vsi functions to qgis.
>
> Reading again VSIReadDir() and VSIStatL() there is no mention that
> VSIReadDir() can handle anything other than directories - can you pass
> it a zip file with proper syntax (/vsizip/file.zip) ?
> http://www.gdal.org/cpl__vsi_8h.html#a6158d73485d6cf92c75b38e7f26d00c3

Etienne,

yes, the doc is certainly a bit lacking. But /vsizip/file.zip is considered as
a directory from the point of view of the VSI*L API. So you can do most
operations that apply to regular directories. If file.zip contains a directory
foo, you can address it with /vsizip/file.zip/foo, etc etc...