[Qgis-developer] advise for a server

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue May 29 12:37:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

Yes, what Alex describes should be a decent server. I would at least buy
16GB RAM or better 24GB or 32GB.

It may make sense to split the workload DB (one server) and the
app-server/file storage (another server).

The best RAID level for a PostgreSQL DB is RAID 10 and for regular file
storage probably RAID 5.

However for smaller installations everything on one server is probably
fine. An SSD for the system (and perhaps) the DB and regular hds for the
rest.

At my servers I don't have SSDs (four years ago when we bought them they
were too expensive) - however on my private notebook I have an SSD and
they are nice and fast (though still expensive).

Andreas