[Qgis-developer] license issues

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:30:35 PDT 2012

Hi Alexander

Well - the person who has written the files can choose ;)
So just select a license which is expropriate to what you want
(preferably a Open Source License) .. ;)

To my knowledge the thing with GPLv2 vs GPLv3 is just that we still have
some files that have GPL2 _ONLY_ and not GPLv2 or later .. which makes
it a bit difficult ..
But I think most important thing for now is that every file HAS a
license ..

If you prefer GPL v2+ or GPL v3 or even BSD .. as long as it is open
source it does not matter.
So that we can say _whole_ QGIS is opensource ..

If you don't know which license to choose you can find some suggestions
in [1] and [2].
As a help for choosing the "correct" one I think that matrix at [3]
helps a lot ..

Just let every file have it's license from the creator/committer.. If
there will be some problems left - we can easily sort it out when we
have this big part ready ..

thanks a lot
Werner

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#The_DFSG_and_Software_Licenses