[Qgis-developer] User profiles

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:43:50 PDT 2012

Hi Paolo

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> The discussion of this evening brought a nice idea: since we have many
> different types of users, whi not having a "first usage wizard" that
> simply asks the user which profile (s)he prefers, and then starts QGIS
> with only the needed menus and buttons activated? The profiles can be
> easily produced via the customization menu, so this seems trivial to
> implement, and can greatly help first-time users and special interest
> groups.
> Of course we have to have a prominent menu to re-run the wizard, and
> change the choice.
> Opinions?

I am just afraid that with such profiles the users may forget after a
while they have chosen a "first-time user" profile that disables a lot
of functionality and then users will ask/complain about missing
features...?

btw. Personally I'm quite intimidated by the amount of toolbars and
icons that QGIS shows by default (i.e. first run). I think if we could
cut that down to a one line of icons, that will be a good start.

Regards
Martin