[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:52:25 PDT 2012

Hi Pirmin

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pirmin Kalberer <pi_ml at sourcepole.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2012, 21.17:20 schrieb Martin Dobias:
>>
>> recently I have been brewing some backwards incompatible API changes
>> that will 1) enable introduction of threading, 2) simplify API for
>> developers. I would like to merge the changes soon to master branch in
>> order not to drift too much from master.
>
> -1 from me.
> This is against the release plan we agreed on the hackfest.

Please can you be more specific about what has been planned at the
hackfest? What should get into 2.0 and what not? I had the impression
there was no roadmap for 2.0.

> IMHO, current master can be a great 2.0 release with many new features in a
> few months.
> Your additions are the begin of the next level - an even greater 3.0 release.

I am afraid that postponing those changes to 3.0 will essentially need
redoing all the changes again from scratch for 3.0 - master branch is
a quickly moving target.

> So I would strongly prefer to have these changes in a "plugin-ng"-branch
> instead of starting a "frozen" 1.9 branch.

But who will maintain that branch? I do not have enough free time to
keep a separate branch up-to-date with master for a long period (until
3.0)

Regards
Martin