[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Oct 23 15:50:41 PDT 2012

Il 24/10/2012 06:56, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:
> Also given that we do a release around every six month, or so, it will
> be a long while before we ever see a 3.0. The API is already broken I
> think we should get it all done with now and move on. Once we release
> 2.0 we are locked to that API for a long time and threading will be a
> no go.
Hi all.
I think we should be extremely careful on this choice, as it has the
potential for disrupting our otherwise rather smooth path. Many other
software got stuck in the middle of breakages like this. I think we
should avoid like hell remaining in the middle of the transition, with
half of the things working well in one version, and the other half much
better in the other. The proposed one is a much welcomed change, and it
is naturally risky.
So, in short, I think we should have a detailed plan about timing for
core development and on how to migrate all relevant plugins.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu