[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 04:46:22 PDT 2012

Hi!

Probably I missed something in Essen but to my knowledge it was always
clear that 2.0 will have _a lot of API Changes_ .. And I missed them
already. So now someone (Martin) is starting to bring us to a point
where a 2.0 really earns its big number change.
I am really looking forward to have threading (and a lot of other
things that makes the 2 a real 2) included.

For the "frozen" release .. well .. What about keeping the last
"nightly" version before martins changes as a package on the page? -
Will not change anything about the current situation and will keep
people able to do their work (personally I do not expect that Martin's
changes will break whole QGIS and I also expect that the most
important and used plugins will get adjusted soon).
Waiting for a 3.0 is probably way too long for such important changes
and Martin would have to do his work a third time again ..

As I already know the great community around the project - I am sure
we will manage it somehow to keep the release straight.. with an even
greater, faster and better QGIS 2.0.
What about an real Roadmap? And a more or less aimed date to release
2.0? Is there already anything like that? I think that would probably
focus the aim

kind regards
Werner