[Qgis-developer] matplotlib in mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 24 07:14:23 PDT 2012

On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 24/10/2012 13:33, Noli Sicad ha scritto:
>> I think Matplotib package is not install in by default in any other
>> system. You have to download and install it by yourself.
> In Win standalone it is installed.
>>
>> Anyway, you can download in Willam's site (below) and install it very
>> easily in Mac OS X.
>>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/python
>>
> ok, thanks a lot for this. Still, I think it should be included in the
> package, for the comfort of the users.
> All the best.

Well, my own reasoning is mostly that I don't like lots of duplication, it just bloats packages for a small convenience.  QGIS package is 75MiB, Matplotlib is 53MiB.  I don't do a standalone package any more because there were problems (although now fixed I think) and of all the shared parts (GDAL, SQlite, python stuff, ...) are useful on their own (but only useful to QGIS in a standalone) and to other packages like GRASS, MapServer and PostGIS.

Also, when QGIS 1.8 was released, certain plugins were not rewritten to use it yet.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war