[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Wed Oct 24 22:50:43 PDT 2012

Hi

I understand Paolos and Pirmins concerns. Software like kde4 or gvsig
had or still have a long time of problems with major new versions. On
the other hand, I don't want to postpone the threading changes again and
again.
Would it be an option to branch a 1.9 from current master just before
Martin merges the first breaking changes? That way, there would be a
version with all the nice 1.9 features and very little API breaks (and
99% of the plugins working). Plus the shapefile encoding fix.
I remember though that the 1.9 option was shortly discussed in Essen and
the release team was not very pleased about it. I can't remember the
exact reasons, maybe it is worth to reconsider?

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler