[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Oct 27 10:40:26 PDT 2012

Hi

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 01:41:49AM +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>> * One of the major limitations I and the many people that contact me
>> about QGIS experience is lack of performance. Just yesterday I got an
>> email from someone in Sudan trying to use QGIS to work with ~300 000
>> point records and it taking 4 hours to do some simple operations on
>> the dataset.
>
> I think such cases should be handled by only fetching a sample of the
> data for visualization purpose, rather than the full set. And similarly
> only a subset of vertices could be fetched when facing dense vectors.
>
> This is something that might need an API change too, as you would need
> the providers to be told when the data has to be fetched only for
> visualization (thus generalization is possible) or for editing (thus
> you want all the data, possibly forcing a restriction on extent).

Yes I think there are heaps of similar optimisations we could make (we
had some nice discussions about other possible optimisations in
Essen). Does anyone know what became of the GSOC project to generalise
features on the fly? It would be great to see that merged if the
results of the work are usable.

Regards

Tim

> Just my 2 cents.