[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] Web infrastructure

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Sep 11 00:47:20 PDT 2012

Hi

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/qgis.osgeo.org.html
>>
>> It seems to be a memory leak of some sort.
>
> WCS test using Mapserver running on wcs.qgis.org was added during the
> summer. I cannot imagine however how it could cause memory leak as it
> is running as simple CGI.
>
> I can decrease the number of WCS tests for now.

I can't imagine it either - though I have had issues on a clients
server where UMN Mapserver creates runaway processes that never
terminate and eat up all available cpu power. If the WCS test instance
does become an issue I am sure we can make another plan - I prefer
that reducing the number of tests we run should be the last possible
alternative, not the first.

Regards

Tim

> Radim
>
>> Some speculate that it might
>> be ruby that runs hub.qgis. I actually think finding a new home for the
>> nightly builds would free up plenty of resources for the web needs, our
>> web server is not miniscule (2 cores, 4 GB of ram). You can also notice
>> from the charts that the issue came up several times over a couple of
>> days and then has not shown up for 5 days at all.
>>
>> I agree with the moving to rst but would prefer to continue to host it
>> using Sphinx to build the docs (obviously the files can live in git to
>> get the benefits that Tim mentions). To me this is more flexible and we
>> can install caching software. This is the same route Mapserver went a
>> couple of years ago, and the same setup we use for osgeo-live.
>>
>> As for downloads, we've always had downloads.osgeo.org available and can
>> use that at any time. For osgeo-live we actually pushed our downloads to
>> sourceforge recently to get 20 mirrors world-wide. If we really need
>> more capacity I can offer university based servers (no $ for bandwidth,
>> in addition to OSUOSL which is our current host and also at a univ).
>>
>> Basically I like github but cautious about using it for everything.
>> Enough files and it will start costing $ to keep it up.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services