[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Sep 13 12:45:55 PDT 2012

Hi

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM, gene <martin.laloux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
> What is really confounding is that my colleagues on Windows or Linux do not
> encounter this kind of problem.
> However, I know many people who work with QGIS on Mac ( Leopard, Snow
> Leopard and Lion) but I have the impression that we are not taken seriously
> by the QGIS developers and some plugins developers.

I dont think that is a fair assessment. We have been really fortunate
to have William and now Larry supporting OSX  (together constituing
around 10% of our core developer force) and we have a few 'power
users' who hang out on IRC and regularly give feedback to try to
improve OSX. The fact is that we are a small team of developers with a
general leaning towards working on Linux based systems for our
development work - it fits well with the ethos of Free Software which
we are trying to promote with QGIS. Both OSX and Windows in my limited
experience in using them as a development platform are idiosyncratic
and present various difficulties that stand in the way of a productive
coding session compared to the relatively simple platform provided by
Linux, so they don't tend to be 'home base' for the majority of
developers. However we do take care to ensure that new developments in
QGIS are never locked in to one specific platform and try as far as
possible to ensure that things will work seamlessly across all 4
platforms, which believe me is not always a trivial task. The best
task to improving mac support is to speak up as you have done and let
folks know where your issues lie and where possible folks will try to
accommodate you.

Regards

Tim

> But I can understand, William (an now you) for Mac, how many for Windows and
> Linux ?

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux