[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Sep 14 09:34:30 PDT 2012

Hi Gene,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM, gene <martin.laloux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many, many thanks, your  master nightly version for Snow Leopard works very
> well (the browser also).

No problem. I will endeavor to keep those nightly builds up-to-date
with William's latest frameworks. If you notice issues with any
nightly first make sure your installed frameworks are also up-to-date.

> I am not a programmer, as I have already said, but I know very well Python,
> which allowed me to correct some plugins, like Sextante, so they work on
> Mac:
>
> on the QGIS User List:
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Sextante-on-Mac-OS-X-a-working-solution-for-running-GRASS-commands-td4987421.html
> Sextante on Mac OS X: a working solution for running GRASS commands
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Sextante-on-Mac-OS-X-the-solution-for-running-R-problem-of-shell-True-with-Python-subprocess-on-Unix-td4988058.html
> Sextante on Mac OS X: the solution for running R (problem of shell = True
> with Python subprocess on Unix systems)
>
> and on the Bug  System of Sextante:
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6015 Bug #6015: Sextante on Mac OS X: a working
> solution for running GRASS commands
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6029 Bug #6029 A solution for the problem of
> shell=True (Python module subprocess) in Rutils.py on Mac OS X and other
> Unix system
> Resolved by Victor Olaya.

Here is something of note regarding subprocesses and GUI apps on Mac
OS X: only /usr paths are searched for executables, not /usr/local (or
any custom PATH you have set in your bash profile). However, recently
John Tull and I worked out a simple solution that could use more
testing. See our chat in this IRC log [0], starting @ 22:32:49.

To summarize the solution, put the following in your .bash_profile,
and/or maybe in your .bashrc *after* every other PATH manipulation:

launchctl setenv PATH $PATH

This will allow GUI userland apps on a Mac to use both your bash
profile's custom PATH, which in turn, will allow QGIS, and its Python
plugins to utilize the PATH env variable. However, it may not be
appropriate to have this passed for all GUI apps. Use your judgment
there.

This is how John got the GRASS commands to work in SEXTANTE. Not sure
if it has any bearing on your fixes, but thought you should know.

[0] http://irclogs.geoapt.com/slogs/%23qgis.2012-07-06.log

> So if I can help, it is only with Python. My memories of C are too  old and
> I do everything with Python now, with QGIS, GRASS GIS, databases, XML and
> other geological applications  (for the past 10 years)

In addition, your experience with geological applications and QGIS is
not only of interest to me, but possibly the whole QGIS community. One
of my next QGIS projects is a large geological map. While at my day
job I work for geologists, I'm just an amateur at geology myself.

If you have collected or created any geologic-specific symbols or
patterns for QGIS, please consider sharing them with the community
(and me :^). Note, there are already some available through FDGC in
the US. Also, if you have made some of those oh-so-colorful geologic
maps with QGIS, it would be great to have a sample of your work and a
nice case study written up for inclusion @

http://www.qgis.org/en/community/qgis-case-studies.html

Regards,

Larry