[Qgis-developer] qt at digia

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Sep 22 13:15:30 PDT 2012

Hi

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM, John C. Tull <jctull at gmail.com> wrote:

8<----------snip---------------

>>> Beside some smaller issues the current state of master seems useable
>>> and stable to me ..
>>
>> [1] http://semver.org/
>
> Presumably, Qt5 would lead to some new broken api's relative to what has been done in trunk towards the 2.0 release, but confirm if that is a valid assumption or not. If it is, maybe a qgis 2.2 or higher release is a more sensible target for the switch. If not, then it is more a matter of how long transitioning and testing would take.

With such a big underlying change I would be inclined to make a make
version release (be it 2.0, 3.0 or what ever). My understanding is
that Qt5 is far more backwards compatible that Qt4 was and the impacts
to end users / developers should be minimal (other than new Qt5
dependency).

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services