[Qgis-developer] Is there anybody interested whether QGIS 2.0 will support non-Latin1 Shapefiles?

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:49:46 PDT 2013

On 04/12/2013 01:30 PM, Borys Jurgiel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As most of us know, QGIS 1.8 and 1.9 *in fact doesn't support Shapefiles* with
> encodings other than Latin-1. Assuming that all recent QGIS versions use GDAL
> 1.9, *the last usable version was 1.7.3* (at least for windows users in
> Poland). Thanks to the 'ignore shapefile encoding' workaround, QGIS built
> against GDAL 1.9 is at least able to open other encodings, however, the 'Save
> layer as' action still creates corrupted files unless you know how to trick the
> encoding selector as well as the layer creating options.
>
> From my point of view it's just an *incredible regression*, as QGIS just
> doesn't support Shapefiles in most languages for a year or so. If there is
> anybody else interested in bringing back support for at least UTF-8 and cp12xx
> in QGIS 2.0 pleeeease join me ;)) and review the pull request:

Hi Borys, we use QGIS compiled with GDAL 1.7 on Debian Squeeze and
Ubuntu Precise, so we are currently not affected with this regression. I
agree, it is total show stopper us too (Slovak and Czech rep. -
windows-1250).

I will prepare some shapefile in windows-1250 and utf-8 for testing.

For a reference, here [1] is a blog post describing this problem.

--
1 -
http://ssrebelious.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/qgis-and-gdal1-9-encoding-issue-a-workaround/

--