[Qgis-developer] behavior of splitting feature

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:07:47 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am dealing with multi polygons these days, and I find very annoying to
not being able to split a part into several part.
First, am I right saying it's not feasible?

If yes, I would like to propose to add a choice to the splitting tool:
- split into several features
- split into several parts (only availbale for multi-polygon/lines layers)

Would you agree on this?

Then, how to propose this to the user?

1. Choice dialog after drawing the split lines (propose only if layer
has multi geometry)
I think everybody agrees it's a bad option

2. Have two icons and two separate tools
Nice to use, but not to right direction in terms of number of icons in QGIS

3. Have a drop down icon as for the selection tool.
My suggestion.

If drop-down is the chosen option, I would also suggest to group add
part with add ring, and also delete part with delete ring. It would
therefore more coherent.

Greetings,

Denis