[Qgis-developer] X11: Map canvas flicker

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Aug 28 10:57:49 PDT 2013

Thanks for testing.
I realized, that this also happens here, so this patch gets my -1 as
well in its current state.
But this will still improve the situation for people which cannot turn
on backbuffering because they need to be able to interrupt the
rendering process or need incremental drawing.

On the other hand, this could easily be done by setting an environment
variable (and therefore does not need any patch and is easily
changeable if bad side-effects occur). So instead of applying something
to the source, this could by done by setting the environment variable
"QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=X11" by e.g. requesting the packagers to modify the
qgis.desktop file to include "Exec=env QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=X11
/usr/bin/qgis"

This solution could also easily be backported to older releases of QGIS
without having to release a patched source.