[Qgis-developer] The future of OpenStreetMap plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:42:36 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM,  <jr.morreale at enoreth.net> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Good to see this plugin is getting some love !
>
> Le 2013-02-01 01:26, Martin Dobias a écrit :
>
>> 2. instead of having a special provider, we could reuse an existing
>> provider for viewing OSM layers - SpatiaLite seems to be the most
>> viable candidate. Once data is imported from XML into a database, it
>> should be possible to create one or more views (SpatiaLite tables) of
>> the database (e.g. all polygons or linestrings with "highway" tag)
>

> Did you had a look to the OGR driver made by Even Rouault ? The use of PBF
> is possible (wayyyy smaller and faster to import) and the performance are
> quite good when working on a big osm dataset.

I only know that it exists, I do not know much more about it. Compared
to OGR support which only allows fetching of processed features, my
approach is to allow also low-level access. With low level API you
could access the underlying topology, fetch all tags of a node/way or
access relations - I guess none of that is possible with OGR. It seems
that the main use case for OGR is just to allow conversion to a
different (more friendly) format.

And yeah, I have thought about PBF format, too. Maybe later...

Regards
Martin