[Qgis-developer] Bounty on DXF output

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Feb 25 00:32:15 PST 2013

Hi Bill,

The problem around DXF export is a known-issue and work has already
started (in QGIS master) to solve the problem. However, it is a
time-consuming and complicated task. Most of the improvements have to be
done in QGIS, some fixes/additions would need to be done in OGR.

The following sub-items have to be developed:

1. Translation of QGIS styling to OGR feature styling. As good as
possible (more complex symbols do not translate well - or need to be
export the same feature multiple times). Honoring style rules and map
scales for the export (one keeps the original coordinates, but still
exports with the rules of a particular map scale (e.g. for a 1:1000 scale))

2. Allow to specify the DXF layer to be used for the export by -
requires an attribute called "LAYER" - not sure if this can be any
attribute or would be limited to the attribute called "layer".

3. Allow to export multiple QGIS layers into one DXF file with multiple
layers.

4. Text label export from both manual and automatic placement - OGR
feature styles allow text label exports. Export functionality should
build around it.

5. Conversion of simple markers and SVG markers to DXF blocks

All of the above means a development effort of approx. 200 hours. I can
tell you the exact numbers if you are interested. Part one - one of the
larger chunks is already financed and implemented by company Sourcepole.

The Swiss QGIS user group (and some Austrian QGIS users) have a strong
interest in fixing these issues and started funding it. Part 1 is
already done.

We are still looking for sponsors for parts 2-5.

Please note that DWG is a totally different thing than DXF. All of the
above applies only to DXF, but also partially for other formats that
support OGR feature styling, like DGN, MapInfo and KML.

This is to let you know that development efforts are under way and that
we are looking for financing of parts of it. The work is done by a
professional company with contracts - so the hardware bounty is
unfortunately not an option here. Of course, the work items / contracts
can be split up to different amounts.

Andreas