[Qgis-developer] Labels on topologically wrong polygons

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Jul 24 11:55:41 PDT 2013

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Il 24/07/2013 18:21, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
>
> >> But that just wraps the C++ library with Python doesn't? (Very nice,
> btw!) That still
> >> requires a full install of PostGIS/PostgreSQL (at this time):
>
> not, we have compiled it as standalone; in deb it is the same:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/liblwgeom-2.0.3
>
> >> For labeling, I don't think we would want to introduce Python into the
> mix, or
> >> require PostGIS to be installed. So, either C++ compiled-in or shared
> lib support
> >> would be best (for the speed).
>
> agreed
>
> >> Do you have some links to any notes on how this was done using the
> PostGIS source
> >> code? I'd like to make that library available for the Mac builds and
> pass the notes
> >> along to others.
>
> coming soon

Actually, I hadn't tested building the standalone Mac liblwgeom.dylib since
PostGIS 2.0.3 came out. I was able to easily build the .dylib for both
2.0.3 and with current source trunk. Trunk appears to now require the
json-c lib, which was not part of the Kyngchaos framework installs, but is
readily available via homebrew.

So, it fairly simple to compile and include liblwgeom-2.0.3.dylib (422 KB)
with Mac bundled app builds, once it is utilized directly in QGIS code.
Very nice, indeed, for geometry repairing routines!

William, here is what I did [0]. Please let me know if there is something I
am missing in the build steps that might cause issues for use in a bundled
QGIS. Thanks.

[0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/liblwgeom.dylib-build.txt

Regards,

Larry