[Qgis-developer] [SoC] Resource Sharing in QGIS - Weekly Report #6

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Mon Jul 29 04:49:45 PDT 2013

> Il 27/07/2013 17:58, aruntheguy at gmail.com ha scritto:
> > What did I do this week?
> > I finished integrating the symbols API of the qgis-django application
> > into the Quntum-GIS desktop application. The Symbols import-export
> > dialog now fetches the data from the remote resource  server configured
> > in the settings.
> >
> > Commits at: https://github.com/tecoholic/Quantum-GIS/commits/gsoc13
> >
> > What do I plan to do next Week?
> > Moving on from the symbols, I would like to concentrate on resource in
> > general. Hence, I would work on finalizing the resources that would be
> > shared remotely and the metadata structure of the resources.

Hi Arun,

When coding the new plugin manager recently, I was thinking how to cooperate
with you to not duplicate the code. Finally I don't decided to consult with
you at that stage, because - due to a time pression - I had to focus on the
architecture, reusing as much as possible from the old code, postponing any
nicer gui for 2.1.

Unfortunately I don't plan to assign much time to the manager/installer during
your current GSoC period and I even haven't compiled your branch yet (shame on
me!), however, if you have any ideas how to include the plugin management to
the common framework, I'd be happy to cooperate. The manager is accessible
from Python, however, I don't consider it as any public API, so we still can
change it quite much in QGIS 2.1

Anyway, I haven't found any common way for presenting items. For plugins, I've
found the simple name list + www browser for details the most suitable, while
for styles probably a rich list would be better. Code snippets may be closer
to plugins though...

What do you think about it all?

Borys.