[Qgis-developer] SRS DB maintenance

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 04:10:21 PDT 2013

Could somebody clarify how the crs.db is maintained? I am a bit lost. There are:
- scripts/qgis_srs.sh - it seems that it was used for initial import
to resources/srs.db but it is not used anymore?
- scripts/postprocess_srs.sql - it was probably called once after
scripts/qgis_srs.sh but it is not used anymore?
- resources/srs.db - occasionally updated add hoc by hand correcting
wrong params or adding missing EPSG
- src/crssync/main.cpp which calls
QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem::syncDb() and updates resources/srs.db
during compilation with latest CRS from GDAL

If I got it, the srs.db was created once by qgis_srs.sh and
postprocess_srs.sql, now it is maintained by hand but also
automatically updated (records are overwritten!?) by data from GDAL
during compilation, right?

If it really works like that, it seams to me that:
- the result is a mix of CRS from various sources which are
difficult/impossible to trace down
- the changes applied to resources/srs.db may be overwritten by data from GDAL

My question/proposal: should not it all work vice versa? I.e. fill an
empty srs.db with the latest data from GDAL first and then to add the
missing projections/params? All the additional projections added by
QGIS should be maintained in a readable text file (not in an sqlite
binary).

Radim