[Qgis-developer] SIP API Update merged. Attention plugin authors

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Sun Jun 9 01:27:51 PDT 2013

> > I would recommend creating a branch in git with your new 2.0 version and
> > be ready to upload it when I give the go ahead.
>
> Is it not 'better' to branch your old version in the 1.8.x branch, and
> do further work in master (for future releases)?

I believe Nathan meens to not upload the new version of plugin to the cental
repository unless everything is ready. We're in a difficult moment now (I guess
this weekend only), when uploading new plugins to the central repossitory will
mask the older versions for 1.8 users.

> If I understand correctly, there is some (more) work and clean up
> possible for all 2.0 plugins:
>
> - sip2 stuff Nathans lists in https://gist.github.com/NathanW2/5734767
> (from which the new SIGNAL stuff is most scary for me)

Don't be scarry, it's quite simple. Finding and replacing all QString methods
to unicode methods was much worse for me :D

> - remove the 1.8/2.0 switches that were needed for being able to run
> both api-versions (not needed anymore because a 2.0 version is now
> incompatible with 1.8).

Actually no breaking change happened now, there would be just MUCH more
switches (assuming that e.g. each formerly QString-type variable may be either
QString or unicode). So in the simplest plugins you can still use them and
make the plugin dual-API-compatible. Just remember to explicitly set both
qgisMinimumVersion and qgisMaximumVersion, otherwise QGIS assumes
qgisMaximumVersion at 1.999.

For more complex plugins it would be crazy to introduce billions of switches,
so in practice it's much better to create separate versions.