[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 Timeline updates

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 11 06:21:44 PDT 2013

Hi all

Just an updated timeline for the release:

* Hard feature freeze effective today (11 June 2013) - this means no
new features will make their way into the final QGIS 2.0 release.
* String freeze 25 June 2013 (only critical string changes needed for
bug fixing will be allowed after that point)

The actual release date will be determined when we have dealt with the
blocker tickets in the ticket queue.

I know many of you have been patiently waiting for the 2.0 release but
there were many features that needed polishing and inclusion and this
has caused some delays. Right now we have a lot of work to do to make
QGIS 2.0 stable and usable for everyone. As a general appeal could I
encourage you to:

* take the master builds (snapshots of the codebase that will become
QGIS 2.0) for a test drive and report issues you encounter using it
with your favourite datasets. Master builds are freely downloadable at
 [1] (there is a standalone windows build here : [2])
* if you have the financial means to do so, sponsor the fixing of one
or more blocker issues [3]. The best way to do this is to make direct
contact with a QGIS developer and negotiate a small contract with them
to do the work. There are also a number of commercial support
providers who may be able to offer this service for you listed on our
web site [4]

Lastly here are some frequently asked questions and answers:

Q: Why dont you make alpha / beta releases?