[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Mar 31 22:47:59 PDT 2013

Dear all

Please note that we are now in Feature Freeze for QGIS 2.0. This means
that no new major functionality (typically annotated with [FEATURE] in
a commit message) should be added to master.

Exceptions to this are the GUI cleanup work and the shield label work
being carried out by Larry. If anyone else feels there should be
further exceptions made, they should be discussed here on the list
*before* pushing them to master.

Now is the time to clean up the code base, remove inconsistencies,
make all the tests pass, make the GUI neat and tidy and generally get
things ready for general consumption.

Today I will also commit changes that move the home directory from
~/.qgis to ~/.qgis2 so that we can properly support deployments where
1.8 and 2.0 are used side by side. Also settings for QGIS 2.0 will be
independently store from the QGIS 1.x settings (e.g. under unix like
OS's they will now go into ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS2.conf).

Please note that I have updated the release timetable as per below:

1 April 2013 - Feature freeze - no new features in master
15 April 2013 - API Freeze - no changes to API except where it is in
direct response to broken functionality.
30 April - GUI Freeze and String freeze - no changes to ui or strings
except where required for critical bug fixes. Call for translations.
1 June 2013 - Branch 2.0, code freeze (except for packaging related
changes), call for packaging
7 June 2013 - Public release of 2.0

The updated timetable gives a little more time to sort out user
interface issues and improve UI strings before the release.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services