[Qgis-developer] Logo Update

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed May 1 07:37:23 PDT 2013

Hi Larry, Devs,
> While I generally have no problems with criticism, I do take issue
> with having my work parodied in a cartoon which implies plagiarism.
>
> A simple "it looks too much like Chrome's icon" would have sufficed.
I think it was not meant personally .. As far as I know Radim .. :)
There are a lot of people outside that do really like your designs
(including me) but I also understand the points of others..

It is indeed a important decision and probably everyone wants to see his
favourite design as the final logo ..
That's why I always say I am fine with whatever will win the contest..
Personally I go with Paolo and would like to see "on of ours" as the
winner ..
But I have to say that #50 is also a very clear design and would
probably fit as Icon on the Desktop better..

As I am no Designer too (as Borys already mentioned) I would say every
design that made it on the final page would be good to go and there
should be a clean vote (i am not clear if it should be public or only
the qgis team which stands behind the whole dev process).
There are a lot of stories out there about "wrong" desicisions in logo
design or naming (I remember some automobile which was called I think
"dick" in another language) .. So I guess in some parts of the world the
logo (and the colours) would have different meanings to people. We
should try to be aware of that - but we cannot completely avoid such
collisions. You never can do it "right" for everyone on this world.

Let's just choose the "most voted" .. think about it from different
viewpoints.. try to give the designer feedback about our concerns and
afterwards we should avoid mails like "this one or that one would have
been better"..

To complete this mail.

#50 for simple and clear usable as Icon on the Desktop
#338,#336 and still #280 (for me) to be a logo for a shirt and a very
nice design with a story behind to remember.. but probably not an icon

so let's try to be objective and choose the best one and also accept the
decision

with kind regards
Werner