[Qgis-developer] Displacement and SLD's

Giuseppe Sucameli brush.tyler at gmail.com
Wed May 8 03:33:02 PDT 2013

Hi Jonathan

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Jonathan Moules <
jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk> wrote:

> So my question is - how should that style be created with SLD's? Does QGIS
> does it "properly"?

no way in this moment, you could use Displacement tag with SVG images
created ad-hoc, i.e. with some empty space around the original image.

Andrea (who's implementing it), has noted that displacement alone can't do
> this, so has proposed a solution which would work, but would require an SLD
> file different from the one that QGIS 1.8 exported. His proposed solution
> is:
> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-5794?focusedCommentId=324800#comment-324800

IMHO the displacement shouldn't be used in that way, as empty space between
graphics, though the SE1.1 specs doesn't define a proper tag to do that...
In fact the Graphic->Displacement tag is already used in other contexts
with the meaning of "distance in pixels from the hot-spot", not as space
around the graphic symbol neither as offset between neighbour graphics.

> What is the QGIS solution to this? Does it implement it at all from an SLD
> file?

I would define 2 new tags as GraphicFill tag's children, like it's already
done in the GraphicStroke tag.
GraphicStroke has Gap and InitialGap, we should use the same approach.

> I ask because I think one common implementation concept would be better
> than multiple divergent incompatible ones as QGIS is used by some people to
> style SLD's for GeoServer.

I agree, could you report my thoughts to the GeoServer ticket?
Regards.

> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>
> This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
> contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
> should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
> authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
> disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
> please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
> including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
> and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Giuseppe Sucameli