[Qgis-developer] Final Logo Pick

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun May 19 21:28:26 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me to have some kind of design committee.  If we don't focus on
> this area of the project in the near future I feel it will always reflect
> an amateur project status, and as we all know that is not the case.
> Provided we have a mailing list that we can see what is going on and have
> some input if we feel then I'm all for that kind of thing.
>
> I'm happy for Larry to be on said committee regardless of his work on the
> logo comp.  Anita would also get my vote. Nyall would also be another
> person I would like to see added as he has some skills in this area. Mathieu
> (nIRV) is another.
>
> So the committee so far for me:
>  - Larry
> - Anita
> - Nyall
> - Mathieu
>
> I think it's best to keep it small or else we end up back in this
> situation again.
>
> The current situation is that we HAVE to pick a design from the logo comp
> and pay the "winner" regardless of if we use that logo or not. 99design
> rules not mine.  If everyone is currently not 100% happy with what has been
> presented I suggest that we pick one of Larry's, give him the money, and
> ramp up the committee to design something better.  I would rather see the
> money go to one of our devs if we are not happy so the money stays with the
> project and we can keep working on it.
>
> I will send an email to PSC asking for a vote on this and if I get all +1s
> then I will pick Larry as the "winner" so we can all move on and not have
> this hanging above our heads.

I have no problem ostensibly being labeled the winner. Under the
circumstances, though, I would feel a bit odd accepting any money,
regardless of whether I'd just turn around and use it to offset development
hours. I think the best thing is to leave the funds with the project and
have it pay forward to a final logo solution. Not sure if
99designs.comrequires or tracks transactions, but if so, I'd be happy
to accept the
funds to my PayPal account and donate it right back to the project.

Concerning the proposed design committee, I see those people as more of a
'filter,' as Tim mentioned, whose perspective is design-oriented, not
necessarily those who come up with a logo design. I think another contest
or large-scale submission would probably occur to arrive at some final
designs again.

Hopefully, future designers can somehow still reference the submissions
from this contest, so we don't end up with a whole bunch of similar designs
the community already feels don't work.

+1 for leaving logo as is for 2.0, focusing on the release, then trying to
find a new logo and icon again, ideally for 2.1.

Regards,

Larry