[Qgis-developer] Suggestion/Question on Snapping

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Sun May 26 07:40:53 PDT 2013

Good morning,

So I'm not a developer by any stretch - but I'm using QGIS for 90% of my
GIS desktop needs. I have a suggestion/question on snapping. I'm
currently using QGIS on a large project in the US Virgin Islands. We ran
into a problem (I hate to call it that) with snapping between two point
layers. If I set up snapping properly I can add a feature and have it
snap to the other data layer (point on top of another point). If I bring
in two existing point layers I can't get them to snap. Example (excuse
poorly drawn attachment).

  * I had an existing layer of Houses as points.
  * I collected data using a GPS and needed the new GPS point to snap to
    the existing house point. I know I can most likely do this in
    postGIS (and I can do it in openjump).I can also do this in ArcGIS.
  * I move the GPS point towards the house point (within snapping
    tolerance) and it doesn't snap.I tried several different things to
    try to make this work.
  * This also came up in the QGIS class I taught last week and several
    of us tried but couldn't get it to work. All the people in the class
    were arcgis users.

Question (and I know this should head to the user list) am I missing
something?
If not - Can this functionality be added to help users in the snapping
realm?

Thank you for all of your excellent work on the 2.0 release.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com