[Qgis-developer] Coordination of Hackfest with FOSS4G

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed May 29 03:19:58 PDT 2013

On 29-05-13 11:04, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:

> When registering for FOSS4G in Nottingham (Early Bird closes 31st May), I
> noticed that the conference starts at Thursday Sept. 19th with 2 workshop days
> before (http://2013.foss4g.org/dates/)
> The Hackfest in Brighton is planned from Sept. 13th-16th. To shorten the gap
> for many of the FOSS4G attendands, wouldn't it be possible to move two
> Hackfest days to the FOSS4G hackathon which is scheduled for
> Tuesday/Wednesday?

Hi Pirmin,

if I understand correctly, Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 are the hackdays
of foss4g which normally were done after the conference. But now
combined with the workshops which normally preceded the conference.
My experience is that most core developers of the different foss4g
projects show up on these days (and other interested shove by).

QGIS hackfest was/is planned from 12 - 16

Isn't this perfectly planned? We first hack for 4 day full steam on
QGIS, and then optionally 2 extra days with some extra new people (OR
you can choose to attend another hackbof (I'm very interested in
OpenLayers and MapProxy for example).

And we have to travel from Brighton to Nottingham also (which I think
takes maybe a small day??).

In your next mail you suggest to use FOSS4G infrastructure for 2 days,
but I think we already have this option?? And breaking 2 days OF from
the normal 2-4 days of a hackfest does not leave very much time in
brighton (if we have to travel anyway).

Off course, the organizers decide what they feel best.

Regards,

Richard