[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Format conversion QGIS 2.0

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Sep 16 11:17:01 PDT 2013

On 09/16/2013 11:08 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 09:43 AM, Sergio A Estay wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I work in Ubuntu 12.04 and today the system automatically update qgis to
>> the new version 2.0. It looks nice , but shortly I noticed a problem.
>>
>> I tried to convert some Geotiff maps to asc grid. Despite qgis seems to
>> perform the task without problems I notice that the new file still is a
>> Tiff file. The only thing qgis did was to change the extension of the
>> file name.
>>
>> This happened with several files and in two different computers today
>> after the upgrade to 2.0
>>
>> Any ideas what happened?? Is it neccesary some other update??
>>
>> cheers
>>

> Was this using the Raster Menu conversion tool gdal_translate? If so can
> you post the command as shown in the bottom box of the dailog.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

I can confirm this bug, forwarding to the developer list. Temporary
workaround, is to press the pencil button and edit the -of part of the
command to the correct format as listed on http://gdal.org/formats_list.html

In this case it should say "-of AAIGrid"

Behavior in 1.8
Select Output, type test.asc (defaults to -of GTiff)
Select Output, Select ASC from the dropdown and type test.asc, results
in -of AAIGrid

Behavior in Master
Select Output, type test.asc (defaults to -of GTiff)
Select Output, Select ASC from the dropdown and type test.asc, results
in -of GTiff

PS: This to me highlights why we should always have the command output
at the bottom of tools (or in an advanced tab), where a user can
troubleshoot and modify a command that a dialog messes up on.

Thanks,
Alex