[Qgis-developer] Adding plugins to core?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 03:05:05 PDT 2014

On 7 April 2014 18:15, Vincent Picavet <vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:

> A good solution though would be to remove google layers and only use OSM and
> mapbox layers, which begin to be on par in terms of quality.

I'm pretty sure this is against MapBox's terms of service too, unless
users were made to sign up for a MapBox account and had to add their
individual API key to QGIS to unlock MapBox layers:
"You must have a Mapbox account to use Mapbox. You are required to
register for an account before using the Service. Each request to the
API must include your account's unique API identifier. Unauthorized
use of any API identifier is prohibited." [1]

> Or let the user a
> deliberate way to add google layers (indicating a URL or something like this),
> warning him about the licence.

Hmm... while this may be a workable solution to the licensing issue,
wouldn't it be a step back in functionality anyway? We'd be trading
having a good, working off-the-shelf third-party plugin for a crippled
core version which takes user intervention to unlock the same
features.

I'm totally for adding essential plugins to core (or merging the
functionality with reimplemented c++ versions), but I honestly don't
know if it's workable to do this for the OpenLayers plugin.

Nyall

[1] https://www.mapbox.com/tos/