[Qgis-developer] hub.qgis.org and storing plugin source code repositories

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Apr 25 16:23:36 PDT 2014

On 04/22/2014 11:46 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 20/04/2014 19:47, Alex Mandel ha scritto:
>
>> Some will suggest we move everything to github. My personal opinion is
>> that the github issue tracker is still quite inadequate for the
>> complexity of QGIS and it would force users to a 3rd party service which
>> they may or may not want to use. I can elaborate on my dissent if this
>> option starts to gain traction.
>
> IMHO we should suggest plugin dev a reasonable, simple and effective
> default way of sharing code and tickets. Of course, if one cooses a
> different strategy, no problem for us.
> If we can fix the redmine issue, all the better (having the tickets in
> the same location would be good), otherwise the most likely candidate
> currently seems GH.
> Could we reach an agreement on this?
> I'm willing to fix the howto page once we decided.
> Thanks.

This alleviates some of my concern, as there is a viable exit strategy now.
http://codetheory.in/export-your-issues-and-wikis-from-github-repo-and-import-to-bitbucket-migration/

It would be really cool if we could wrap the api's into our own search
tool, then we could auto search plugin repos hosted on bitbucket or
github from the plugins.qgis site.

Even encouraging all uses onto github doesn't solve how to search the
main QGIS and Plugins tickets together at the same time.

We need a good discussion of the topic here since it affects more than
just devs. I'm not sure how to come to a definitive decision.

FYI, bitbucket support OpenID, github does not. OpenID might be a way
for us to make things easier for new users. I can see implementing
Django OpenID for plugins.qgis.

To throw in a twist, we could run these:
https://www.gitlab.com/gitlab-ce/
https://www.gitlab.com/gitlab-ci/

Thanks,
Alex