[Qgis-developer] Resurrecting the RFC (QEP - QGIS Enhancement Proposal)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:00:00 PDT 2014

On 21/08/2014 10:27 pm, "Nathan Woodrow" <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I would like to raise something I have been considering for a while now.
We are becoming a large project, in code and users, and there has been some
recent issues of developers doing work only for there to be disagreements
on the implementation. I would like resurrect the use of RFCs, or I think
would should name them QEP (QGIS Enhancement Proposal because that sounds
much cooler :)

> Thoughts?

I'm strongly in favor of this idea, and for formalizing the
commit/development process in general. Like Larry mentioned, we'd need some
guidelines about what kind of changes are OK just to push through without a
QEP.

I'm also curious about time lines, given that often pull requests sit with
no response for many months (years?). Would there be an automatic
acceptance after a set time with no -1s?

On a related note, I'd also like to see some additional rules put in place
around acceptable commits:
- all commits which modify CORE components should be accompanied by unit
tests, unless exemption is granted in advance by the dev list. GUI and app
would be immune due to the difficulties in implementing ui tests
- all api changes should include detailed documentation, including a
description of all variables and their use

This is probably a discussion for another thread though...

Nyall