[Qgis-developer] Resurrecting the RFC (QEP - QGIS Enhancement Proposal)

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Aug 25 01:54:20 PDT 2014

Hi Andrea,

First of all, I tend to agree with Marco, where QEP should be voted when there
is a general agreement on them. The PSC voting should therefore be enough.

As for you question about QEP vs funders.

Le lundi 25 août 2014 08:41:29, aperi2007 a écrit :
[snip]
> Also, AOAIK an important question is undrstand the limit of a RFC.
> Infact don't forget that the main enhancement are always covered by one
> or more funders.
>
> Tipically they ask an enhancement with some request themself.
>
> This RFC in the QGIS world is obviously after the real fund phase where
> the funders find the developer and contract him.
> So what mean that the RFC is submittable to the PSC ?
> If the PSC to accept the RFC required more changeables and these
> changeable require more fund, what happened ?
>
> Or this RFC could be submitted before to find the developer and fund him ?
>
> In this second situation, the RFC should be submited from the funders ?

What should happen is one of the three following scenarii :

* The funder works with a contractor which knows QGIS and the QEP process well
enough to guarantee to the funder that the QEP will pass as-is, for the
originally proposed amount. In this case, the contractor takes the risk.

* The funder provides the QEP and makes the discussions with the community
until a general agreement is reached. Then the funder finds a company/developer
to pass a contract for the development phase.

* The funder makes a first contract with a company/developer, to write the QEP
and reach an agreement (or not). Once the QEP status is set (voted as is,
voted modified, deferred, rejected), the funder can pass another contract with
this company/developer (or another) to implement the QEP.

Vincent