[Qgis-developer] Saving map config, or the meaning of extent (again)

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Dec 2 08:15:22 PST 2014

I'm back to the "what's an extent?" question.
Right now only the "extent" is saved in the project file.
Such information encodes a center and a scale which is dependent
on the output size.

This is not the so-called "visible extent" (padded to retain aspect
ratio) but another "extent", supposedly the "extent of interest" ?

Once we also have rotation, what should we save ?

I'm still thinking that the triplet center,scale,rotation would be the
simplest to retain. The problem with that is that keeping the scale
might result in a different area being exposed depending on the
output size. On the other hand keeping the extent would result in
a different scale being used depending on output size.

What's more worth saving: scale of visible area ?
NOTE: currently the saved info is not the visible,
      but the "requested" extent.

--strk(confused_about_extent);

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt