[Qgis-developer] Ugly jumping maps while zooming

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 23 05:12:48 PST 2014

Hi all,

I think we need to distinguish a bit more in several categories of bugs
and features.

*Regression bugs*
These are the bugs that affect previously working functionality. Like
the "ugly jumping maps while zooming". If something like this happens
it's normally tagged as blocker and a good reason to revert a commit
(unless fixed in a timely manner). The "ugly jumping..." has been fixed
(although in a way that I understood is not "perfect" but seems to be
"good enough"). Are there other bugs like this left?

*New-feature-not-yet-polished-enough bugs*
Like the one "rotation not reset after loading new project". They do not
affect users that don't touch the new features. IMO such bugs should not
keep a feature out of master but could justify an "experimental" tag and
explicit turning on the feature (we should get the config dialog to not
clutter the options with it). E.g. firefox has a number of features that
are only available via "about:config".

*Feature does things the wrong way*
That is, a new feature takes code-wise or usability-wise an approach
that is not desirable. Such a thing should normally be spotted by the
reviewer but we cannot guarantee that the reviewer spots it so it should
also be possible to come up with this after merging. However, reasons
for this have to be stated so a developer can understand either _how_ he
can improve the code or _why_ it is not desirable at all. Are there
things that fall into this category with the rotation feature?

All the best,
Matthias