[Qgis-developer] Styling OSM data

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Feb 7 05:23:28 PST 2014

Hi all.
I think an automatic styling of freshly downloaded OSM data would be a
big plus for QGIS, especially for courses (I do a lot of them all
around, and it is always painful to customize them, and embarrassing to
reuse data from my region).
I know of two approaches to the problem:
* https://github.com/3liz/osm-in-qgis
* Mayeul work e.g. on http://www.outdoormaps.org/simple_map.htm
I think with a minimal effort we could incorporate that in QGIS:
* the user downloads the data from OSM and loads them into spatialite,
with the new tool
* he adds the styles (please note we have implemented a way to
automatically store and load from spatialite).
Could we smooth out the path for this, and add the above mentioned
styles as default ones for QGIS?
Could we document this as an early entry for the course material under
preparation?
All the best, and thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu