[Qgis-developer] Post-release period of portable commits only?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Feb 24 13:12:42 PST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Filipe Dias <filipesdias at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about making a formal announcement (mailing list, website, wiki etc)
> telling
> the users that QGIS version 2.X is in feature freeze and therefore is
> sufficiently

stable to be tested by end users? This may increase the number of testers.

As an end user that uses QGIS for production, this is the only time I work

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
-- 8<--snip----

> Ok, seriously, I should probably emphasize in the freeze announcement, that
> it's mainly the users that are supposed to test the daily prereleases and
> weekly release candidates and report problems, while the developers work on
> reproducing and fixing already known or newly reported bugs.
>
> And the warnings on the download page should be changed to say, that
> testing
> nightly builds in the development phase are different thing than the daily
> prereleases in the freeze phase.

I think those two posts really do sum it up. The project just needs to
communicate better with the user community that the weeks between the
feature freeze and release are their chance to make a difference, by
testing the 'release candidate' (or whatever it going to be called), or be
prepared to wait 4 months.

+1  I'm all for these changes. I don't think the idea I proposed in the
original post is any better, excepting the inclusion of a larger user base,
which still doesn't mean better testing, though.

If the majority of users 'know' that they have several weeks every 4 months
to directly affect change/bugs right before a release, that should be good
enough.

Also, would be good to list that right on the Roadmap schedule [0], e.g.:

WEEK  DATE  EVENT
21         23.0    2.3  freeze begins, release candidate

[0] http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/index.html#road-map

Regards,

Larry