[Qgis-developer] QGIS Web Client improvements

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Fri Jan 3 03:44:06 PST 2014

Hi Alessandro,

new ideas are always welcome. I comment below

Am 03.01.2014 12:30, schrieb Alessandro Pasotti:
> Hello,
>
> happy new year to everybody!
>
> I''ve started a new project with QGIS server and QGIS Web Client, my
> first impression is that QGIS Web Client is a great tool, very easy to
> set up and with mostly all the features you need ready-to-use.
> A very good job!
>
> Of course I would like to contribute with some code and translations, in
> fact I've already started:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Web-Client/pull/59
>
> Here is my hypothetical TODO list, I need your comments about what could
> be of general interest and hence been merged upstream and what do you
> think is just my customization and can stay in my fork.
>

> 1. remove as many as possible hardcoded values from wsgi search scripts
> (even if I prefer Python I did a re-implementation in PHP of these
> scripts mainly because my customer needs them, this implementation has
> no hardcoded values, no need for special columns and almost no
> configuration)

+1 for the php implementation as on an average web server php is more
likely already installed than wsgi
Could you elaborate which hardcoded values and columns you removed?
Be aware of SQL injection!

> 2. remove as many as possible hardcoded values from GlobalOptions.js and
> Customizations.js or  try to guess smart defaults from ProjectSettings
> response

which are you aiming at removing?

> 3. resurrect the right panel (trying to solve the map reload issue) and
> make it optional

we were happy to have got rid of the right panel because the map always
redraws when it is opened. What info do you put in there?

> 3.1 make this info panel optionally available in the south area instead
> of the east one
> 4. implement HTML tooltips taken from the HTML tooltip templates used in
> QGIS desktop (done)
> 5. find a way to get reference map layers from ProjectSettings instead
> of hardcoding them

are you talking about the BGMaps?

> 6. this might be difficult or not possible: it would be nice to have an
> interactive legend so that the user can directly click on a legend item
> to filter->zoom to the features that match the selected legend item. I
> feel this would require changes to the server side too....

the legend as created with GetLegendGraphic is - well - a graphic. I
cannot see how you could implement this

> Thanks in advance for your comments!
>

> --
> Alessandro Pasotti