[Qgis-developer] New composer's title

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Jan 25 15:13:08 PST 2014

Hi,

I specifically added that dialog, since so many times my composers resulted
in unrecognizable names. I believe without it many users will suffer from
this as well. However, I'm not necessarily keen on its implementation, but
wish not to remove the functionality, just move it elsewhere. The new
naming functionality (e.g. to quickly base a name off of an existing
composer, etc.) is already part of Composer Manager, so nothing needs
changed there.

A better solution when creating a new composer, and gently nudging the user
to set a name for it, might be to move the dialog's widget functionality to
a 'Name' field at the top of the Composition panel.

Then, when a user creates a new composer and the main window is shown, set
keyboard focus to that field and set its background to a color to signify
the user should consider entering a unique name (e.g. pale yellow). The
background could be on a singleshot timer so that it fades out after a bit.

This would only be when creating a new Composer; and, since the field could
already have a generated name inputted, the user can just choose to ignore
it. This also means that GUI scripts don't have to deal with the current
interim dialog.

Regards,

Larry