[Qgis-developer] qgis 2.2: removing spit and disabling "avoid intersection of new polygons"

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sun Jan 26 07:06:31 PST 2014

Hi,

Regarding the "avoid intersection" problem: I agree with Giovanni, that this is one of the (or maybe even the major) strength of digitising functionality in QGIS, making it the probably most userfriendly and efficient GIS for digitising available.

>From my point of view proper digitising is a very important GIS feature for "basic" (and potential new QGIS) users. So, the topology imprecision is definitely a reasonable disadvantage in this regards, and personally I would give a high priority to fixing this.

However, I would not deactivate "avoid intersection" (but maybe make users aware of this issue (e.g. by adding a hint in the UI-lable)). Because, the (possibly) incorrect topology (with very small errors) can in many cases be fixed e.g. using GRASS`s v.clean through processing. I know that this is not elegant, but better than not havind this option at all...

Cheers
Stefan