[Qgis-developer] Custom Map Tools

Trevor Wiens tsw.web at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:15:26 PDT 2014

I'm developing a custom application as a python plugin for doing in-person
map based interviews with indigenous people. For this I need custom map
tools for drawing and editing map features so I can do some additional
processing, when map features are created such as recording the time stamp
(as I'm recording sound simultaneously). At this point I've gotten the
capture of points and simultaneous audio working nicely but what I am
finding is after exiting my app (which runs in a panel with all other tool
bars and such minimized) and restoring the previous state, if I select any
other map tool, such as pan or in QGIS 2.4 under Linux, disk trashing
ensures followed by a crash.

I can simulate this by simply using command line in the python window using
the canvas.setMapTool function.

I suspect that somehow the custom map tool for placing points is not being
cleaned up properly but I'm not sure how to track this down or prevent
this. I've Googled this issue extensively and can't seem to find any
similar problems so any help pointing me in the right direction would be
welcome.

Thanks in advance

TSW