[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-UX] Opinions on "best" implementation of color picker dialog?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Jul 28 19:01:52 PDT 2014

Hi Nyall,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 29 July 2014 05:19, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>
> > However, a very big -1 for such a custom picker *replacing* access to the
> > system picker.
> >
> > For example, the very first option in user Preferences in the latest
> > Photoshop is allowing the user to choose the default color picker
> (between
> > Apple's or Adobe's) [1]. I think having such an app-wide setting, with
> the
> > custom picker as initial default, and the ability to pop up the system
> color
> > picker from within the custom picker's dialog, is critical for
> > cross-platform user experience. Otherwise, we risk really annoying
> existing
> > users by forcing their color workflow to ours.
> >

> So are you proposing that we would switch over to our own custom
> picker by default on OSX, but add an option to switch back to the
> system color picker? Or default to the system picker but allow
> switching to the built in one?

The first one. Yes, make a custom picker, because it can be more integrated
with the app and standard across platforms; but, leave the option for the
user to either set their picker of choice, or offer the system picker as a
pop up picker that sets the color in a custom dialog (for access to system
picker's extra features), or both.

Only accessing the pop up system picker from QGIS's custom picker is
probably the best solution, i.e. such a pop up to the system picker would
set the current color in the custom dialog only. Then, signal/slots from
the custom dialog can be heavily used, color-picking documentation can be
standardized on the custom picker, color styles and schemes can be
integrated, and the user can always access the system picker when needed
(albeit with an extra click).

But, do this for all platforms, not just for Mac.

Does the OSX picker support CMYK colors?

Yes, probably for many years now [0] (since system Mac OS 7.5? [1]). This
is probably due to Macs being used for dekstop print/pre-press workflows
long before other platforms.

[0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/mac-picker-cmyk.png
[1]
http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/mirrors/Apple%20Technotes%20%28As%20of%202002%29/tn/tn1100.html