[Qgis-developer] Opinion on plugin named prepair (and possible likes)

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Jun 5 15:49:08 PDT 2014

Hi,

there was some discussions during the spring of the plugin prepair.
Problem was that it needs to have a compiled "kernel", c++, user UI is
in python.
I've tested it now both in linux (openSuse 12.3 and QGIS 2.2 up2date)
and windows (w7pro/64 and QGIS 2.3 nightly latest) environments.
In linux the program has to be compiled by user, this might cause some
problems if user is not used to compile programs, check libraries etc.
For seasoned user that only takes some 5-10 minutes to get it done. In
windows there is precompiled package but only as zip not with any
installer which may cause problems (e.g. where to place it).

Both installations worked with certain settings and included test case,
results were similar, but further test settings caused  big problems in
windows installation which I'll report after a good night sleep.

There will be real use for the plugin. But some development is needed
also for UI.

Conclusions

Plugin is useful and thus very acceptable, but
- it can be installed only by person who knows what to do, those people
who do digitizing are not always programmers (very seldom)
- to tell where the actual workhorse is situated is quite clumsy way to
use it even the plugin remembers the site (but only in that same
session), this should developed to some settings. Now You find it once
and write it on paper not to need to find it again etc. otherwise you
spend time and possibility to make error?.

- these kind of plugins should be marked always as experimental and with
this I mean all similar "need-to-be-compiled" plugins

Cheers,
Kari

PS. I really liked the idea of this plugin and respect the developers. I
also understand that maybe something I didn't understand why windows
didn't work as expected.

--
Kari Salovaara
Hanko, Finland

"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart."
  ~ Elizabeth Andrew