[Qgis-developer] Release plans

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Jun 26 07:07:10 PDT 2014

Hi Nathan,

[Take 25]

On Thu, 26. Jun 2014 at 22:32:01 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> >>No. Just like with 2.2.

> I think this is a real mistake and bad PR for the project.  If we want to
> do it like this we need to refine out release plan better to have things
> line up nice and smooth so people get what they expect.

Why again a discussion on the last minute?  "The plans has been on display..."

The road map tells users what to expect.  The announcement told users what to
expect.   If they still expect something else, that's their choice.  But IMHO
it's nothing that we need to take responsibility for.

The current plan is easy. Just two dates: freeze and release.   development
before the freeze, testing, fixing, translating, release preparations after the
freeze, packaging and new the next development cycle starts in parallel after
the release.

I think that's easy enough even without a colorful layout.   Although the
roadmap is hard to find on the website (but it's nowhere near alpha centauri).

> The user isn't us, we can build from source, they can not, nor should they.

BTW the users are free to build from source, that's their choice, too.  I think
most of our users are pretty smart (and good looking) ;)

Jürgen

PS: "This must be Thursday" - and I put release on fridays intentionally to
    have the weekend for packaging...
PPS: I wanted to tackle #10703 instead of this - you could have done #10589 ;)

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
QGIS PSC member (RM)      Germany                      IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden