[Qgis-developer] Ideas to improve options of layer fields

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Mar 4 06:16:34 PST 2014

Hi

For me these are questions which are part of a bigger topic, namely the
decoupling of the graphical representation (editor widget) and the
field definitions. I think they are treated as one thing currently
because they are defined in the same tab in the layer properties.
The main reason for decoupling them is, that they are then better
available for other parts of the code/python plugins as well (e.g. add
a new feature with an undefined field will fill it with the default
value instead - automatically, trying to set a NULL value on a field
which cannot be NULL should throw an exception for python or fail
otherwise for C++).

On Tue 04 Mar 2014 03:06:58 PM CET, kimaidou wrote:
> Hi Rémi

> <mailto:remi.bovard at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi list,
>
>     I'm currently implementing an edit form with a lot of fields and
>     I've got some ideas to improve the user experience. What about to
>     offer some new features in the layer fields options, like those ones:
>
>     - Set a default value (text, checkbox, date, list, etc.)
>

> +1, very useful . If possible, get it from the provider if possible
> (database)

+1: should be defined on the field , independent of the editor widget

>     - Set the order of the items in a values list
>

> I usually use a separated CSV file, and the value relation field type,
> so that I can order alphabetically.

+1: is a topic for one specific widget

>     - Set a field as mandatory and highlight it if empty (or even
>     better, get constraint from the data provider)
>

> + 1 too

+1: Defined on the field. Should be mapped to NULL/NOT NULL constraints

>     What do you think?

Good input!

Matthias