[Qgis-developer] Virtual Fields - Allow adding fields out of edit mode

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon Oct 6 12:12:13 PDT 2014

Hi,

I merged a commit today that fixes some problems with virtual fields, in
particular a crash when removing a virtual field.
As the virtual fields do not work on the data provider, they are not
directly linked to edit mode being turned on. This also allows to add
virtual fields on data providers that do not allow to add additional
fields. This led to a change in the GUI, that you are also allowed to
add fields when edit mode is turned off. I added an info, that editing
mode will be turned on, when adding real (provider) fields on the add
field dialog.
However, I am not sure how intuitive the current behavior is. As we are
approaching the final release date, I thought I'd explicitly point out
this change and ask for feedback so we can take measures if there is
hesitation to this approach.

Please share your impression and if you disagree with the current
approach it would be highly welcome if you could outline an improved way
of tackling this.

Matthias